- August: “Genesis Sweet,” which won the Crab Orchard Review Special Issue Feature Award in Fiction, appeared in Volume 21 of the journal.
- March: “A Thief at Either Side” appeared in Volume 50 (Nos. 3 & 4) of Auburn’s Southern Humanities Review, commemorating the journal’s 50th anniversary.
- January: Matt’s story, “The Animals Tradition,” received Honorable Mention in The Saturday Evening Post Great American Fiction Award, appearing in an anthology of the award winners.
- January: “Slide” and “Spectacles” appeared in the Winter 2017 edition of Permafrost
- December: “Jingoes” appeared in Volume XXXVI (Nos. 2 & 3) of The Chattahoochee Review, a double issue with the theme “Off the Record”
- October: “Lessons in Glass Warfare,” an essay on raising daughters through the 2016 election, appeared at The Good Men Project
- September: “Spectacles” and “A Horizon of Koi” were exhibited alongside visual art at the Art & Words Collaborative Gallery Show
- November: “Charles Baxter’s Tuneful Bewilderment,” a new essay expanded from a 2015 AWP Conference Tribute Panel, is in Michigan Quarterly Review.
- November: New flash fiction about Homeric haircuts, entitled “The Kindest Cut,” is up at SmokeLong Quarterly.
- September: “A Basket Case” appeared in Mayday Magazine.
- September: “The Uncanny Valley”, fiction appearing in The Masters Review, and described this way: “In this story, a pastor attends a Lamaze class with his wife. He can’t stop wondering about the man who comes to class with one woman one week, and a different one the next.
- June: Michigan Quarterly Review provided a home for“Absolutely, I Remember You.” This fiction features felines, alongside doppelganger felines.
- May:“After the Jump,” a story of moon tourism gone awry, appears in Conjunctions.
- May: “Do the October Dangle” appears in Cimarron Review.
- May: A new story featuring an idyllic campus and a nettlesome box,“The Disrupted Tour by the Veterans Tower,” is live at Hobart.
- May: Everywhere Stories: Short Fiction for a Small Planet, is an International Book Award Finalist. My story “Au Lieu des Fleurs” is part of this terrific collection.